Friday, August 1, 2008

lentils

The 800 lb gorilla in the room doesn't like them. Boy, does he ever dislike them! Massive gastric distress. Perhaps I should start at the begionning. I went for my Geisinger appontyment yuesterday- J the PA says I'm fine, as I said yesterday. Then I sat for several hours with the IV of one of the chemos going in. (I take the other orally.) While the IV was running, we eat lunch, which we bring. So I asked Mom to go down and get me some soup to go with the sandwich. She brought back lentil soup, which was excellent. It was a mass of damp solids, not runny at all. Then later, in the evening, after dinner (tortillini with tomoto sauce w/ red wine) the gastric distress started. It went on all night, even with the a little this morning. The gas was especially painful. As a consequence, we got up at almost 8:30 this AM.

Later today I go back to Geisinger for the shot which stimulates my bone marrow to generate white blood cells. This is the one which would cost thousands of dollars if the give me a script to self-inject and costs nothng if they do it in the clinic. Don't mind a drive for that kind of money. I may come back via Williamsport and do a little shopping on the way.

Saw a little piece on CNN this AM regarding the polution in Peking. High particulate matter, in the 200s, about 10x what they have in Chicago. They say the masks work. Might that be helpful on the Western Front?

Gotta love them Cubs! Brewers were hoping for a sweep of the 4 game series at home, instead the Cubs swept, and by big differances in the scores too.

By the way, there is another 800 lb gorilla in the room nobody ever mentions. It's called "Spontanous Remission" and is what they call it when cancer goes away by itself. Yesterday J the PA confirmed what I understood- at best the chemo will stop the cancer in place, but not remove it or be in any sense a cure.

1 comment:

shelley toye said...

Hi Cousin
Bob
I hear your persistence to go the course surviving this treatment that probably seems worse than the ? You're expressing what you are going through - I believe it will help you heal/stop the gorilla in its tracks. Whatever possibilities that can be, this is your place to speak about what you're going through and as a side effect strengthen your own healing capacity. The worst is to suffer silently and clam up as I have done in the past, as many of us have done - glad you're not a martyr. Share it with others this way as you do - your optimism to return with time and every day will be better... I'm sorry for you suffering. I'm thankful to hear from you. Stay strong!

With love,
Shelley