Monday, August 18, 2008

fajita

Had some really excellent fajita for dinner last night at Chili's. Also a fine margarita which tasted a lot like the last ones we made.

But first- arrived in Philly at abut 3:15 after an uneventful trip from the EF. I had 2 hot dogs with mustard, relish, onion, and saurkraut at the Hickory Run service area, familiar to some of you. When I got here they said my room wasn't ready yet. They did check my bags while I waited. There is a Starbucks on site, so I had a nice cup of tea while checking out the area. I got back to the registration area- still not ready. This is about ten after four. I use the men's room- a guy, kinda young, is at the sink with his shirt off, and he gives me a song and dance about being an E3 in the Army and his dad being in an accident and can I give him a few bucks so he go to see him. I say "no" and leave. there is a second registration desk, just in front of the couches where I'm hanging out, for Elite registration, so I go there and tell the guy that there a dude panhandeling in the men's room. he calls Security and that's that. Guy is very thankful for my effort. At 4:30, I decide I'm going to the desk again, and if there is still not a room, will ask to see the manager. On the way I say "hi" to my new best friend, and kinda of jokingly, but serious too, ask him if there is anything he can do to get me aroom. Two minutes later I have a key to one of the Elite rooms and am on my way. Elite status is for people who stay a lot- sorta like frequent sleepers. Really nice room. I don't know, or care, if it's much different than the regular rooms. So I get all my clothes unpacked and hung and all.

I went to Chili's for dinner and had a margarita on the rocks to start. They serve them in a large beer mug, and it tastes a lot like our last effort at home- lots of juice, not a lot of alcohol, and lots of ice. Fajita is excellent. I comes out of the kitchen trailing a cloud of smoke, always a good sign in a fajita. Meat is excellent, veggies too, tortillas are nicely warm in their own little covered container. All in all, very well done all around. Living out in the boonies like we do, we tend to forget how well big city resturants do things and how good their wait-staff is.

So back to the room, put on Sunday night baseball. At 9 I realize I not only don't know the score, I don't even know who is playing. I do know Jon and Joe are doing the game. So I shut off the TV and go back to sleep.

This morning was uneventful- had an omelet, then on to Grubbs paper. it was a mob scene, no chance to get to talk to him without being a large PIA. For those who may not be aware, Bob Grubbs was Elizabeth's thesis adviser; he go the Nobel in'02. Then on to a paper on global warming which was quite interesting. Now I'm worn out, and just in time too since I have nothing on the agenda for this afernoon.

No comments: