Sunday, July 27, 2008

Stung!

What next, you may ask. I was out cutting grass, which tired me a little more than I thought it would. Afterword I sat down in the shade with a cold drink, and felt some insect crawling on my face. So I flapped my hand at it, you know how that goes, and it got up under my shades and then stung me. Hat and glasses went flying, and I swatted the bug to the ground. Looks like a mud wasp to me. I called for Mom to get the after bite stuff, she did, and it really works. Pain stopped almost immediately. I now have a wasp sting on me left cheekbone, right under the eye.

During the quest on Saturday, we acquired a new 2-drawer file cabinet. We have the old one down to the garage, and the new one at the foot of the stairs. At that point, I had to sit down for a while. I'm a lot weaker than I was. That gorilla is taking it's toll.

I dreamed about being at work last night; that's the first time I've done so that I remember. I was in a discussion about playing softball and mentioned that I have cancer and so very little endurance. (I did play softball on the company team back in Muskegon back in the early 70's.)Somewhere in my head I realized that I shouldn't have cancer in my dream, so that woke me up. That sort of thing happens when dreaming rather often- I realize I've lost the boundary between dream and real universe, and that wakes me. Probably a good thing.

Several days ago I defined at least to myself what it is I miss about work- the rigor in the thinking that chemistry requires. Not that I want everyday life to be rigorous, but I miss the intellectual exercise of focused thinking and data based conclusions and carrying two different theories which contradict each other in your head and all the rest of it. Thinking was always the best part, I guess. Cooking requires some of this, which is probably why good chemists tend to be good cooks, not an original observation.

No comments: