Monday, July 21, 2008

Sleep

I slipped into sleep mode again yesterday. In the AM I went out with B to start the lawnmower. Then he mowed while I cut a few wild roses (just a few) and then watched from the lawn chair. This is working out pretty well- invite a person for the weekend the then let them cut the lawn with the riding mower. It kinda smacks of the whitewash the fence thing in Tom Sawyer.

Then we did lunch and B left to go back to Leesburg to cut his own lawn. And worry about their house at Cape Hatteras since the hurricane is scheduled to be there Monday- passed over last night I think. Then I lay down for a nap. Got up after a few hours, had same pie (B brings pie and red wine- gotta love the guy!) while the thunderstorm raged. Back to sleep in front of the ball game, then up again to shower, lay down for another few minutes which turned into several more hours of sleep. Finally got up for a very late dinner which was leftover pasta and chicken sauce with red wine, with which it is excellent. Then to bed at 11 or so and slept the rest of the night. I don’t really know how much I slept, but it was a lot. Gotta keep that gorilla happy. It gets testy if it doesn’t get enough sleep. Note to daughter M: You don’t suppose my sleeping is related to you not sleeping, do you? We’ve had things like that happen before.

Another note to daughter M: A .22 will be right about the speed of sound, so you won’t hear the one that gets you. Still a good plan to duck when you hear a shot in case there is another one about to be fired. When my uncle came back from WWII he’d be under the table whenever there was an unexpected loud noise.

A few days ago I was in bed, lights out and all, and a large dog was barking in the distance. Listening carefully, I could hear voices too, then small dogs barking. All this was quire far away, so not at all loud, but I could hear it. Then “BANG” a shot rang out. (Sounds like a Snoopy novel.) Then nothing- no dogs barking, no voices, absolute quiet, which in the Enchanted Forest is REALLY quiet. Dunno what that was about at all. Can’t think of any scenario that would include those observations. I’ve since heard the large dog, so it wasn’t some xx shooting the dog. Just dunno.

1 comment:

Emma Burns said...

If only I had as good an excuse as WWII! I'm under the table when there's anything like a gunshot. Well, I did live in DC with all those crazies shooting ALL THE TIME, so maybe that's comparable. We heard gunshots every few days.

I will keep on ducking. It is L.A., after all!

Barking dog scenario: something is nosing around the henhouse or annoying the cows; the dog barks; the human shoots to scare off the coyote/fox/sasquatch; everyone goes back to sleep.