Tuesday, September 16, 2008

wine

The latest thing is red wine tastes bad now! What's with that? It's not bad enough to have to wrestle with the 800 lbs gorilla in the room, which nobody ever mentions, but now wine tastes bad. Actually, I think it might be from the new antibiotic Dr D prescribed yesterday. I went to see him re the red toe thing, which you may remember I had to go to the ER in Bangor for. Dr D doesn't think it's gout- he thing something is flukky (his word) in the circulation in my feet. I have swollen ankles too. He thinks the flukky is caused by either the gorilla or the drugs, including the chemo. (Query to Dr B the dil: does this make sense?) So he gave me a script for another antibiotic, which I think is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. BTW, the results from the blood work in Bangor never came through. Health care in this country is a disaster. Memo to McCain and Obama: Do something about it!

I stopped by the Y yesterday and renewed my membership. Friday (one week from chemo) I'll go to the pool. Exercise has to be good for circulation, right? Even if I can't swim far, a few strokes is more than zero. When we were marathoning, we used to say any run begins with a single step, and that's the most difficult step.

Weather in the EF is kinda blah. Garden is fading away, grass looks tired, etc. The sun hardly ever comes out- partly cloudy is how they describe it. I don't care for fall. Spring is much nicer, summer is warm and friendly, and winter at least raises the hope of XC sking. Fall has nothing I like- football and hunting are not my favorites. Baseball playoffs do happen, but that always seems like the left-overs from summer.

Speaking of baseball, how about them Cubs? Lilly almost got another no-hitter yesterday! Awesome! Now, how about putting some games on TV?

2 comments:

Emma Burns said...

Try white wine. It can't hurt, right?

Football is a waste of time, but how about soccer games over at Lock Haven? That's where I'd be right now if I could. Fall means college soccer to me!

Down with the gorilla!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what "flukky" means, but I wouldn't expect an isolated red joint to be due to a chemotherapy-related vascular problem. It is probably a stubborn infection (there is a lot more antibiotic resistant cellulitis--skin infection--out there than there used to be, resistant to amoxicillin and the like). Swelling in your legs is probably due to low protein levels and/or buildup of fluid in your belly, causing things to back up into your legs. But easy for me to say, diagnosing without seeing from cyberspace.... DIL.