Thursday, September 18, 2008

sleep

I forced my self to stay awake last evening- no sleep after dinner with the Cubs game. I went to bed at about 10 and slept until 11:30, when I had an incident of gastric distress. I had had a hankering for pasta salad, so we had one for dinner- tortellini, shrimp, veggies from the garden. Yummy! But at 11:30, severe gastric distress. But back to bed and then slept all the way through until 7 this morning. I guess it's back to meat for dinner. I eat GORP every day, like now, after breakfast. My GORP is based on granola, with mixed nuts, not just peanuts, and dry apples and apricots in addition to raisins. Also the obligatory M&Ms, of course. That I can eat, but oatmeal, for example, leads to severe distress. I don't understand it. I guess it's just that gorilla trying to keep me guessing. It's working!

Went to J. C. Penny yesterday to get a pair of jeans for the cool weather. I'm officially back to my high school size- 32x32 jeans. Of course, I was in considerably better condition then- that was when I was running the mile in track. My PR was 4:52, under the 5 minute mile. I broke 5 minutes for the first time the same week as when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, the first time that had been done. Last week up in Oneonta NY I tried to run a few steps to avoid traffic and found I forgot how to run! Unbelievable! After all the running over the years, including finishing 4 marathons (started 5, but that's another story) my body doesn't know how to run any more.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to do an organized exercise program- swimming, and paddling and biking as the weather permits. We'll see how that goes. Depends on the gorilla, of course.

We're trying to think of a way to go to the Keys in December. Can we trailer? Better in motels? Can it be done at all? Lots of pros and cons.

No comments: