Thursday, September 25, 2008

memory

I think I'm losing my memory, but I forget. Yeah, yeah, there are a million "losing your memory" jokes out there. But I seriously have holes in mine. What's with that?

Incident 1: I made bookcases a few years ago; son in Bangor has one. I was admiring it when I noticed there is a block on each side holding the top onto the side. Pretty clever, screwed and glued, nice and stable, adds strength. Picture the block attached to the side and the top attached to the block. But I have no memory of installing it! How could I forget a significant detail on something I built?

Incident 2: I had my pistol locked in a lock box in my closet. There were two keys to the locks; I had one. My memory was that I gave wife the other, but when I asked her for it, since I will be using the new cabinet instead, she claimed she never saw it. I looked in the place where I keep spare keys and there it was. OK, I have it, and that's good, but why does my memory continue to tell me I gave it to the wife?

Incident 3: I kept a 20 gauge shotgun in my closet. I thought it was loaded, but yesterday when I took it out to clean it and put it in the new cabinet, it's empty. My memory is that I kept it loaded in case of burglars or whatever, but there are no shells in it. How did I unload it and why put it back in the bedroom closet instead of in the hall closet in it's case with the other empty long guns and have no memory of doing so?

The bookcase was built before the cancer surgery, where I got a lot of drugs, so I can blame the drugs. The key could have been that I intended to give the wife the key, and then brain decided I did so, even though I didn't. But the gun throws me for a loop. I was feeling secure since I had a loaded gun handy, and it turns out it wasn't loaded. How did it get unloaded without me remembering doing so?

2 comments:

shelley toye said...

If you're not getting enough REM sleep you might not be consolidating your memories as well as you used to. I've read that melatonin can help, and that the older we get, the less deeply we sleep because our pineal gland doesn't produce enough. Consider supplementing it; Melatonin is available over the counter and one tablet will be adequate. Try to get enough vitamin D and B12. I understand how perpelexing it is as I had tried sleeping pills (Ambien) a few times and didn't remember getting up during the night and talking to my husband. Surely it's the medications that are interfering with memory consolidation.

Emma Burns said...

Well, that makes much more sense than what I was going to suggest, which was: GNOMES.