Thursday, October 9, 2008

better

I'm better today, but not back all the way yet. It's a week since the chemo, and, as I said, the worst week yet. I spent most of yesterday in bed, with the predictable result that I had trouble sleeping last night. So what, I'm sure I got enough sleep during the day.

Economy: My take is as follows, and keep in mind that I did study economics in the MBA program. A loan company borrows (say) 100K. Balance sheet now shows an asset for 100K cash and a liability for accounts payable of 100K. Company now loans out the 100K as a mortgage. Now the balance shows an asset for 100K mortgage and the liability for 100K stays the same. Now the value of the asset drops since it was overpriced in the first place. Say it drops to 75K. Now the balance sheet shows an asset of 75K and a liability for 100K. Liabilities exceed assets- bankrupt! Now the government comes in and guarantees the 100K- theoretically, the company is solvent again. I think that's the theory anyway, but it doesn't seem to be working real well, although the Dow is up 82 right now, 10 minutes after the opening.

Politics: boring! CNN is discussing the possibility of an Obama landslide. The trends are certainly that way. He's sounding more presidential every day, and McCain less.

Baseball: Second round starts tonight. I guess I'll root for the Dodgers (because of Joe Torre) and the Red Sox because I'm familiar with them.

Basketball: Starting! Saw the first pre-season Knicks game last night. They look good- new coach, new system. They're playing run 'n gun which is a fun game to watch. Clyde is still doing commentary, a very good thing.

No comments: